Thursday, June 17, 2010

Painting!







This past week, I started oil painting. Osamu, my roommate, is a fine painter and has been kind enough to teach me oils. I am doing a copy of drapery from a painting of the Virgin by Jean Hey from the 1400s. The first step was to do a study in drawing, which is in an earlier post. The next step is to grid it out, in order to enlarge it. I chose a simple board, instead of a canvas, because it is cheaper. I prepared the board with layers of Gesso, to smooth the surface. With an enlarged copy of the drawing, I transferred it to the board. Once I had the drawing ready, I began painting the sketch to make it permanent. I will have more to show soon.

I did a couple drawings over the past week as well. One is an anatomy study of the skull and hands. The other is a study after Ribera, one which is currently on display at the Pitti Palace.

Sorry it took so long to post, I have been very busy. Ill post again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment