Sunday, May 30, 2010













This past weekend I went to Rome with Dony and stayed with an old friend of mine. It was a great opportunity to study the baroque art, and did many drawings of Bernini and other sculptures. I also had the great privilege to go to the huge Caravaggio exhibit, and also to see his three Saint Matthew paintings in San Luigi in Francese. He happens to be one of my favorite painters and one whom I aspire to.

The day I arrived was amazing. Dony showed me around, and went for quick visits to various churches and basilicas. Again, everything is huge. Incredible art everywhere. We also checked out the Von Hildebrand conference at the Pontifical University of the Holy Cross. Afterwards we were invited to go to a private tour of the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel with some of the people from the conference. It was absolutely stunning. I saw the Sistine Chapel! It was incredible. And after that, we went to the after party, which happened to be on top a really nice hotel with 360 degree view of Rome. What a way to spend your first day in Rome!
The next few days I spent with a friend of mine.

I spent my time drawing statues and visiting churches. I did many Bernini studies, among others. I also got to see the Caravaggio exhibit, which I had been looking forward to for a long time. I also got other treats because the people I stayed with were friends with some of the Swiss guards. I got to check out the guard's chapel for Sunday Mass, as well as the armory (see pictures).

The peak of the trip, to me, was going in to see the Saint Matthew paintings of Caravaggio. Such great presence, beauty and color. The figures are so intense and dramatic. Sheer emotion. Unfortunately I could not do studies of him, due to the crowds packed around me. But other then that, it was a fantastic trip.

Speaking of drawing, I promise I'll get my works up very soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment